THE JEWS OF NIEUW AMSTERDAM
1662 In Hebrew, her name means 'rose' - but Shoshana Levy has never seen one. Not even in Brazil, from where she and 22 other "secret Jews" fled, before getting raided by pirates, stranded on an island, and eventually becoming the first Jews to permanently settle in America despite overwhelming odds. Eight years later, Shoshana stumbles upon a wild rose bush - a seemingly mundane event, but one that dramatically shapes her future. Join Shoshana as her budding friendship with an Indian girl reveals hidden biases, plunges her into danger, and spreads the light of Judaism where cultures collide.
* Jewish emigration from Brazil to America
* The settling of colonial Jews in Nieuw Amsterdam
* Native American customs and practices
* Traditional Jewish rituals and Jewish holidays
* Jewish community and Jewish values
* * FREE SAMPLE CURRICULUM!
Shoshana and the Native Rose
- Grades 2-7
- 115 pages
- 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
- Full color illustrations